Traditional forms of drug addiction management tend to place more emphasis in areas such as relapse prevention but while such emphasis often contribute to successful treatment outcomes to a point, in existential terms, they are incomplete, and in such cases, an individual may require a partial hospitalization program that offers intense treatment and recovery from addiction and access to medical care if necessary, including group or individual counseling sessions.
Some partial hospitalization programs are very strict. They not only provide a strong support network, but they also deliver a committed level of care for people with ongoing addiction issues, 24 hours a day, seven days a week through an individualized treatment plan based on a person’s addiction and mental health state at the time of admission.
Partial hospitalization programs will differ from one place to the next, whereby, a patient may be required to continue with treatment every few hours for 5 days to a week, all depending on the severity of the addiction or on the individual needs of the patient.
A PHP is highly recommended for people that either require a 24hr monitoring or a higher level of care than a regular outpatient care is able to arrange for. A successful partial hospitalization program will include 7 of the following treatment options:
- Psychological and Physical Testing – The two are assessment tests of a patients’ mental health and physical health to determine their state of mind and their how their addiction has affected their health.
- Detox and Medication Management – A patient is given a medically supervised detox to treat withdrawal symptoms and medication that decrease cravings of drugs as well as treat other withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety, dysphoria, and insomnia
- Individual Counseling – Each patient is expected to attend one-on-one therapy sessions with an addictions therapist to discuss issues that focus on abstinence, relapse prevention, how their unhealthy behaviors affects them and their loved one, and their recovery journey
- Group counseling – It is a source of hope and inspiration for all and focuses on helping patients connect with others in the PHP program who have similar experiences and are struggling with addiction and recovery
- Family Counseling – Addiction has a negative impact on the addict, and their family and therapy helps the family gain a new perspective on addiction, address the issues surrounding the addiction and learn the proper ways to lend their support
- Vocational Counseling – Therapists use individualized and comprehensive approach that focuses on empowering patients to not only enroll in vocational rehabilitation after residential treatment but also to guide them on how to transition from substance abuse and to recovery in order to aid in sustained recovery
- Aftercare Planning and Holistic Treatment- Entails having relapse prevention strategy in place for the patient upon discharge that includes having them join a support group, a 12-step program, fitness classes, learn how to meditate and adopt a healthy routine.
Fun Things To Do Besides Using Drugs
We are familiar with the fact that there are some demonstrated techniques to help defeat cannabis yearnings for those trying to give up on this bad habit. Cravings come in different waves and tend to only be effective for about 20 minutes, so if someone can pass through the threat zone period, the cravings start to become less forceful and less repeated. We will mention some fun, common and effective activities you can perform to keep amused your brain and body that don’t involve smoking, drinking or getting high. Maybe you’ve tried several of them before, or perhaps there’s something you’ve always been meaning to give a try but have never got around to till now but now is your ability to give it a go. There are plenty of fun things to do besides using drugs. Instead try some of the ideas below. Discover your new passions.
- Go for a guided mediation, progressive muscle leisure exercises, and some deep breaths or simply be seated in silence and clear your mind for 20 minutes till that craving is no more active. People perform regular yoga for this. Yoga is best known for its soul effectiveness quality. It relaxes your soul, body and mind. Let’s not forget that physical fitness is important when it comes to mental health.
- Try your hands in kitchen for friends: make an effort and remake that MasterChef dish from TV last night, or grill something ambitious and mouthwatering. Let your friends know that you can be good with food. Let them appreciate the food you just cooked for them. Cooking gives you creativity and relaxes your mind. Don’t worry about the taste or what would be the outcome, just go on with it.
- Join a fitness center: You’ll definitely have a lot of spare hours on your hands now you’re not smoking or drinking and why not utilize the moment to initiate some healthy new way of life. Discover a gym around your residence. Try them all with membership options which include other activities like swimming, tennis, massage etc. Ask your friends join with you.
- Write down a letter: Yep, good old snail mail! When’s the last time you either sent or expected a hand-written letter? Can’t remember? Then a great motive to get out a fancy pen and some nice paper and send some kind words to friends or family near or in a foreign country. Just get out of typical sms and email atmosphere. Writing a letter by hand will more pleasing for you. It will trigger out the hidden emotions from your inner self.
- Clean your room: this one’s not exactly enjoyable but it will unquestionably clear your headspace and give you a sense of fulfillment. Plus getting rid of all your cannabis paraphernalia such as bongs, lighters, scissors and bowls will diminish the lure to smoke in the upcoming time. A sense of matureness with come in your mind and the brain structure will be more efficient.
- Get out your paints and brushes, and make a multicolored mess. Get out some crayons and color. Or just make some sketches or doodles. Not into visual art? That’s alright. Try some imaginative writing. Get a pencil and a spiral notebook and just write poetry, journaling, spinning fantastic tales, business articles or whatever comes into your intellect. Playing with colors refreshes your mind greatly. Try to play with them. Don’t try to make something but to enjoy yourself with them.
- Enjoying a meal in your favorite restaurant with people is one of the finest ways to get to know each other. Food is and always will be a great way to share discussion, civilization, and just relate to people in common. Food never disappoints you. It gives you a sense of happiness, fulfillment and pleasure. By this, one can become more social as well. A good healthy food is always a treat to yourself.
- The earth is a fascinating and captivating place, so travel will enlarge your mind and your viewpoint in ways you can’t even recognize until you do it on your own. Travel is pricey. But now that you don’t waste all your money on blow, you can manage to pay money for trips and vacations. Travelling is the best therapy for any one. Adding on your favorite music with it will make the moment for you. Can’t find anyone for travel? Go alone! Yes. Don’t be dependent. There are so many beautiful places you may find in your city and town. Like enjoying a sunset on a beach will make your mind relax and you will feel pleasure in that sight.
- Get your headphones and turn on your playlist. Everyone loves music. I personally think music is the supreme creation of man. There is so much great music out there. It’s a lot of fun to study new artists and follow the bands I already love. I like to share new music with friends. I like to take my guitar and write some melody of my own. Music itself is a therapy for all people. Mentally depressed? Heartbroken? Feeling down? Go for some music of your choice. It never disappoints.