Traditional forms of drug addiction management tend to place more emphasis in areas such as relapse prevention but while such emphasis often contribute to successful treatment outcomes to a point, in existential terms, they are incomplete, and in such cases, an individual may require a partial hospitalization program that offers intense treatment and recovery from addiction and access to medical care if necessary, including group or individual counseling sessions.
Some partial hospitalization programs are very strict. They not only provide a strong support network, but they also deliver a committed level of care for people with ongoing addiction issues, 24 hours a day, seven days a week through an individualized treatment plan based on a person’s addiction and mental health state at the time of admission.
Partial hospitalization programs will differ from one place to the next, whereby, a patient may be required to continue with treatment every few hours for 5 days to a week, all depending on the severity of the addiction or on the individual needs of the patient.
A PHP is highly recommended for people that either require a 24hr monitoring or a higher level of care than a regular outpatient care is able to arrange for. A successful partial hospitalization program will include 7 of the following treatment options:
- Psychological and Physical Testing – The two are assessment tests of a patients’ mental health and physical health to determine their state of mind and their how their addiction has affected their health.
- Detox and Medication Management – A patient is given a medically supervised detox to treat withdrawal symptoms and medication that decrease cravings of drugs as well as treat other withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety, dysphoria, and insomnia
- Individual Counseling – Each patient is expected to attend one-on-one therapy sessions with an addictions therapist to discuss issues that focus on abstinence, relapse prevention, how their unhealthy behaviors affects them and their loved one, and their recovery journey
- Group counseling – It is a source of hope and inspiration for all and focuses on helping patients connect with others in the PHP program who have similar experiences and are struggling with addiction and recovery
- Family Counseling – Addiction has a negative impact on the addict, and their family and therapy helps the family gain a new perspective on addiction, address the issues surrounding the addiction and learn the proper ways to lend their support
- Vocational Counseling – Therapists use individualized and comprehensive approach that focuses on empowering patients to not only enroll in vocational rehabilitation after residential treatment but also to guide them on how to transition from substance abuse and to recovery in order to aid in sustained recovery
- Aftercare Planning and Holistic Treatment- Entails having relapse prevention strategy in place for the patient upon discharge that includes having them join a support group, a 12-step program, fitness classes, learn how to meditate and adopt a healthy routine.